Ensure no interruption in services when Azure maintenance task completed
Place web server VMs into single availability group. – This instruct Azure at least one VM should available at all times
Place database server VMs into separate availability group.
Ensure incoming internet web requests are shared equally between VMs and at least one VM is online at all times
- Add VMs into single availability group. – Ensure VMs are placed in different maintenance and fault domains
- Create a new public load balancer. – Handle traffic from public internet
- Create a back-end address pool in the new load balancer that includes all VMs. – define the VMs that traffic will be balanced between
- Create a health probe in the new load balancer. – define how the VMs are polled to check their responsiveness
- Create a load balancing rule in the new load balancer. – define details of traffic distribution
- Create a Network Address Translation rule for each of the VMs. – define internal IP address for each VM
Windows Server roles currently supported by Azure
- Active Directory Domain Services
- Active Directory Federation Services
- Domain Name System (DHCP)
De-provision image before upload to Azure
Linux virtual server – execute waagent tool
Windows virtual server, execute sysprep.exe tool
Implement Desire State Configuration for Azure IaaS
- New-AzureVMConfig – create VM config
- Add-AzureProvisioningConfig – additional config elements such as username and password.
- Set-AzureVMDSCExtension – enable Desire Configuration State extension. ConfigurationArchive parameter set to .zip file which contains the script to execute the configuration settings
VM can open and execute scripts stored in multiple storage accounts that already used by other applications
Generate shared access signature for each blob – A shared access signature can be one-time or multi-use key that enables one or more applications to access the secured blob
Minimize potential data loss due to disk failures
Create multiple VHD in LRS (locally-redundant storage), and the configure as single storage based volume. – Azure will separate the disks into different update and fault domains, ensuring disk availability in event of outage or planned recycle.
ZRS (zero-redundant storage) does not support page blobs, unsuitable for VHD storage.
Provision VM and assign availability set
- From Azure Management Portal, select From Gallery
- Run New-AzureQuickVM cmdlet